Sophos UTM 9.x USB install
Today I had to reinstall my gateway/firewall but I no longer had blank CD’s.
I usually prefer to use a USB key but the asg-9.x.iso from Sophos has some issues with this.
I fixed it in a few minutes by comparing the mounts in a VM when booting from an ISO and the mounts when booting from USB.
The problem is that the installer only tries to mount the cd rom and not USB keys to /install.
- download the iso
- download rufus usb tool
- write the iso to the USB using rufus
- boot from the usb key
- hit ‘return’ to start the installer
- hit ‘ALT+F2’
- find the device name for your usb key (dmesg | grep sd)
- mount the usb on /install (mount /dev/sdb1 /install)
- hit ‘ALT+F1’ to return to the install
- installer will now work
Hopefully this is useful.